Mary Boland House (Calvert)
The Mary Boland House in Calvert is one of only a few remaining examples of saltbox construction in the Southern Shore region of the Avalon peninsula. This form of vernacular construction was common among first generation settlers in Calvert and surrounding communities and was an accepted form of early housing throughout Newfoundland.
© 2004 Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
Sheets of newspaper found lining the walls in the attic crawl space bear the date 1903, suggesting that the house was constructed in the early 1900s. It was built by John Power as a family home. His only surviving daughter Mary, born in 1905, continued to live in the home after her marriage to Arthur Boland. She remained there until three years before her death in 1998.
The house retains its original form, featuring a typical saltbox two-room ground floor plan, with a back linhay running the length of the rear and a steep pitched roof. This well preserved house attests to the permanence and adaptability of this architectural style.
The Mary Boland House was designated as a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in March 2003.