John and Ann Brinson House (Carmanville South)
The John and Ann Brinson House was constructed circa 1880-1890 by John Brinson. The building is a two-storey, four room house with a steeply pitched, wooden shingle roof. The kitchen linhay was added to the original house some years after the original house was constructed. The linhay was added to provide additional space for boarders, including teachers who came into the community to educate the children of the local people.
The Brinson family were some of the original settlers in the Carmanville South area, originally known as English Bay. Built by John Brinson, the house is currently owned by his great-granddaughter, Linda Goodyear. The building is the oldest remaining structure in the area, and is a good example of vernacular design. The building has been lovingly restored by the current owner.
The building was designated as a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador on April 13, 2002.
Also view the John and Ann Brinson House Registered Heritage Structure on the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador web site. The Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Web Site has on its site only a portion of the registered heritage structures in Newfoundland and Labrador. To view a complete list or search for a particular structure visit the Heritage Foundation's Property Search page.