J.B. Foote House
Built in 1908, this dwelling belonged to one of the most important business families in Grand Bank, the Footes.
The Footes have a long connection with the Grand Bank area. Their business, in one form or another, has been in operation since 1850. Significantly involved with the fishery, the family has been crucial in the economic development of the community. John B. Foote, the eldest of the Foote brothers of J.B. Foote & Sons, originally owned the house. The influence of the family and their place in Newfoundland history, however, reaches beyond Grand Bank. John's younger brother, Sam, was the first Newfoundlander to graduate from Dalhousie Law School. Sam also served several terms in the House of Assembly as a representative for Burin. He was in the House during its last sitting before the suspension of the Constitution and the instalment of Commission of Government. In a medical first, John Foote was the first Newfoundlander to ever receive insulin.
The house was used as the family dwelling for a number of years before being passed on to his daughters, Cora and Kezia. Cora sold the house in the late 1980s to Dr. Allister Paul, who owned the house for four years. After Dr. Paul's departure, it remained vacant for three years before being purchased by Brendan and Allison Brenton in 1996.
The J.B. Foote House, situated on the highest point of land in Grand Bank, was designed by John Forsey and Charlie Rose. Rose was also involved in the construction of another of Grand Banks's most prominent homes, The Thorndyke. The Foote House was built in the most affluent area of the community and is considered to be one of the three or four "grand homes" remaining. It is a Queen Anne style house, but without a truncated roof. Instead, it has a pyramid-style roof with two gable dormers, each with a chimney. The house also has a Palladian-style front entrance, rare in Grand Bank. It has its original eaves, front porch and spindles. In recent years the house was renovated with new clapboard, and repainted.
The J.B. Foote House was recognized as a Registered Heritage Structure in May 1997. It remains a private dwelling.
Also view the J. B. Foote House Registered Heritage Structure, and the J. B. Foote House Municipal Heritage Site on the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador web site. The Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Web Site has on its site only a portion of the registered heritage structures in Newfoundland and Labrador. To view a complete list or search for a particular structure visit the Heritage Foundation's Property Search page.