Evelly House is one of the most prominent and visually striking houses still left in Trinity East, and for more than 60 years, it has served as a residence for visitors to the community.
© 1998 Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
Evelly House was built in 1885 for Matt Evelly, who also owned a schooner. In the early 1900s it was common for rooms in the attic to be used by members of the crew waiting for fair winds.
At some point, the house came into the possession of the Andrews family. It is not clear how they acquired the house; however, it did become a centre point for the community. During the 1940s and 1950s, the house was a boarding home for visitors including musicians, salesmen, teachers, inspectors and even a bishop.
Gordon Andrews was the next person to own the house. He was a teacher and a man of some importance in the community. Because of his position, it was quite common for residents to seek his economic, social and religious advice. In recent years, his son, Arthur Andrews, assumed control of the house.
Evelly House is one of the oldest homes in the community and one of the most striking. Because of its high sloped roof, it is one of the first houses people notice when they enter Trinity East. Most other houses that once had high sloped roofs have been cut down to flat or bungalow-type roofs.
The house is a three-storeyed wooden house with a steeply-gabled roof. It is structurally sound, but in need of some repairs. It has remained virtually unchanged since it was first built.
The Evelly House was recognised as a Registered Heritage Structure in November 1991 and the owners were presented with a commemorative plaque by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in July 1998.