Casey Store (Conche)
A small wood building with a steep gable roof, this structure was built by Michael Casey Sr. in 1904, the year in which France relinquished its rights on the Treaty Shore. At the time of construction, the Casey Store was one of many such saltfish stores in the community, and was part of a large complex of structures known as the Casey Rooms.
© 1998 Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
The Casey Store was built as a saltfish store and twine loft adjoining the family stage. Provisions and fresh meat were also stored there. The north doorway gave access by a ramp to 320 square feet of flakes attached to the store. When the fish plant opened in the 1960s the flakes were abandoned and only the family's salt cod was kept there. It is now used for storing fishing gear.
The Caseys are one of the original settler families of Conche. Their rooms were first occupied by the builder's father, Captain Tom Casey (1799-1880) who was immortalized in one of the earliest extant ballads describing a Newfoundland sealing voyage. His ship's clock, parallel rule, chart case and navigational charts are still held in the community.
Reproduced by permission of Jamie Dower. ©2004.
Today the Casey Store is one of the oldest remaining fisheries buildings left on the French Shore. It is currently in the process of being restored by the French Shore Historical Society. It was designated as a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador on March 31, 2001.