A Beothuk house and canoe.
This drawing is from John Cartwright's map, "A sketch of The River Exploits and The east end of Lieutenant's Lake in Newfoundland" (ca.
1773). Although he did not manage to contact any Beothuk on his journey, Cartwright visited Beothuk villages which may have been abandoned upon the Europeans' arrival.
Courtesy of the Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador
(PANL MG-100), St. John's, Newfoundland.