This aerial photograph, taken by the Canadian military in 1942, shows the valley north of the city, with Bannerman Park in the foreground. Mostly undeveloped at the start of the Second World War, the area beyond Circular Road became part of the Churchill Park development beginning in 1944, and within 20 years or so of the date of this picture the entire area became a residential area. Note the temporary tent camp in the top left of the photo. Called Camp Alexander, it housed United States military personnel while Fort Pepperrell was under construction.
Courtesy of Library and Archives Canada, Archival Reference No. R112. MIKAN no. 4164986.