St. John's, 1689

St. John's, 1689
An inset from the English Pilot of 1689. The image shows that the town was being used by both residents and migratory fishermen. The white squares along the waterfront show the fishing rooms of the residents, known as planters, and the black squares show the the areas set aside for migratory fishermen.

Courtesy of the Centre for Newfoundland Studies, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland. From John Thornton, A New Chart of the Trading Part of New Found Land (London: Thornton, 1689).

Partnered Project Heritage Web Site Project
Memorial University of Newfoundland
Home Search Heritage Web Site Guest Book Site Map Heritage Web Site Top of Page