685th Air Warning Squadron, July 1943
The Sandy Cove radar site was the most active of all American radar stations in Newfoundland and Labrador during the Second World War. Located on Fogo Island in Notre Dame Bay, it monitored all air traffic from Gander to Goose Bay, and out into the Atlantic within a 150-mile radius. Shown here are some of the 52 men who manned the station.
Photographer unknown. Reproduced by the permission of the Maritime History Archive (PF-306.1041), Memorial University, St. John’s, NL.