The Labrador Boundary

Privy Council Documents

Volume VII

1 Permit by
Vaudreuil and Bigot,
20 March, 1758.

2 Return by Murray,
22 July, 1763.

3 Concession by the
King to Deleigne,
8 April, 1721.

4 Minister to Begon,
5 June. 1722.

5 Ordinance by
16 September, 1743.

6 Grant by Hope,
15 September, 1786

1 Concession by
27 April, 1762.

2 Concession by
27 April. 1762.

3 Concession by
de Lauzon,
15 November, 1763.

1 Petition of the
Hudson's Bay Co.,
20 November, 1830.

2 Third Report of
the Committee on
Grievances, House
of Assembly,
22 March, 1831.

p. 3189

1758, Marsal died in 1757. In 1758, Vaudreuil and Bigot authorised his creditors to operate Cap-Charles till the concession expired in 1763.1


1763, Governor Murray granted Cap-Charles to William Brymer for four years (1763 to 1767).2



1721, the King granted to André Deleigne a concession with a frontage of four leagues extending two leagues northwest and two leagues southeast of the passage des Loups-Marins and four leagues in depth, with the islands opposite the concession, to hold during his lifetime or so long as he continued to develop the fishery thereat. Deleigne was granted the exclusive right to take seals and the concurrent right with other French subjects to take fish within the limits of his concession and was empowered to trade with the natives “sur les terres et Costes de Labrador,”3

1722, Begon was informed that Deleigne's request for two cannon for his fort could not be complied with.4

1743, Hocquart issued an ordinance forbidding Antoine Marsal to set nets or cut firewood within the limits of Deleigne's concession.5



1786, Lieut.-Governor Hope authorized Perrault, Pierre Marcoux, John Antrobus and Louis Dunier, to establish seal, cod and salmon fisheries on Indian island and on a tract on the mainland of Labrador peninsula extending from a point opposite the western extremity of said island, northward for five leagues in front and two leagues in depth “with the rivers which shall be found therein,” provided that no portion of the area should be found to be within the limits of the land granted to the Society of Unitas Fratrum and that “no Right or Privilege is or shall be hereby given or conveyed Subversive of the rights and Privileges granted” to the Hudson's Bay Company.6

p. 3190

Pending the promulgation of   “certain local Regulations . . . . to render the Establishments in that quarter of more advantage and Utility,” Hope declined to grant exclusive privileges to the concessionaires but stated that the licence was “intended not only to secure to them the present enjoyments thereof,” but also to give them a “claim upon Governments for a preference in obtaining a Concession or grant of the whole or parts of the Lands above described, under such restrictions and limitations as may hereafter be devised for the better regulation of the Fisheries and matters appertaining thereto in that Quarter.”



1762, Governor Murray granted Murray Bay seigniory to Capt. John Nairne. “All kinds of traffick with the Indians of the back Country” was “specially excepted” to preserve the rights of the lessees of the King's Posts.1



1762, Governor Murray granted Mount Murray seigniory to Lieut. Malcolm Fraser. “All kinds of traffick with the Indians of the back Country” was “specially excepted” to preserve the rights of the lessees of the King's Posts.2



1653, de Lauzon granted to Robert Giffard a tract with a frontage of three leagues by four leagues in depth on the north shore of the St. Lawrence “au lieu dit Mille Vaches . . . . pour jouir des dits lieux en fief et en tous droits de haute, moyenne et basse justice et seigneurie,”3



1822, the Hudson's Bay Company, which, by union with the North West Company in 1821, had acquired its rights and claims, leased the seigniory of Mille-Vaches. Later, they established Portneuf fur-trading post in this seigniory and, owing to its position with reference to the King's Posts, were able to carry on a considerable trade with the Indians of the Posts to the manifest injury of the lessee.1
1831, a Committee of the House of Assembly reported that the Portneuf post had been established by the Hudson's Bay Co. “in contradiction to the conditions of the Concession deed of said seigniory” and that the Crown officers had given it “as their opinion that Portneuf constituted a part of the Domaine of His Majesty.”2
1864, Henry Judah, as Commissioner under the Seigniorial Tenure Act, certified that Mille Vaches included an area of 84,612 arpents and he valued it at $21,168.00.


Partnered Projects Government and Politics - Table of Contents Site Map Search Heritage Web Site Home