1739, a deed was passed between Constantin and his sons-in-law, Rènè Cartier and Pierre Hamel, whereby he transferred to them a one-third interest in Grand St. Modet, Petite St. Modet, and Baye-Rouge.1
1740, Cartier and Hamel transferred to Havy and Lefebvre, for seven years, such interest as they possessed in Grand St. Modet.2
On the same day, Cartier and Hamel sold to Francois Foucault all their rights and claims to St. Modet.3
1740, Boucault and Foucault having renounced all pretensions to the concession of St. Modet, granted to them in 1735, Hocquart issued an ordinance confirming Constantin in possession thereof and declared that the concession to Boucault and Foucault was null and void.4
1743, Foucault sold all his rights and claims to St. Modet to Pierre Jehanne.5
1748, Galissonière and Bigot issued an ordinance forbidding Durant freres, Mourongeau and other fishermen casting nets or discharging muskets within the limits of St. Modet concession. The ordinance states that Constantin is the owner of St. Modet, Baye-Rouge and Rivière-des-Francois posts.6
1751, following the death of Constantin, Jonquière and Bigot granted to Breard for nine years (1751-1760), the St. Modet concession but with a depth of six leagues, as compared with a depth, of four leagues when granted to Constantin. They also granted him an augmentation adjoining the western boundary of St. Modet. It extended about three-quarters of a league westward by six leagues depth and included the whole of the anse au Diable.7
Bigot issued an ordinance prohibiting Bouvier and his partner, le Balais, and all others from taking seals in the anse an Diable or elsewhere within the limits of St. Model.8
1753, the King granted St. Modet to Hocquart, with the same limits as specified in the grant to Constantin, namely, four leagues in front by four leagues in depth. together with the islands opposite, with the exclusive right to take seals and trade with the Indians within the limits of the concession.9
1756, Bigot, in an ordinance, of 25 May, 1754, states that the King had granted Gros-Mecatina to Hocquart and St. Modet to Taché ; that Volant d'Haudebourg had leased St. Modet on 5 March, 1754 ; that the grant to Taché was to go into effect in 1756, and that d'Haudebourg should pay rental to Taché as from 5 March, 1754.10
1759, Maseres stated that Taché had enjoyed this concession without molestation until 1759. receiving a rent of 900 livres per year from d'Haudebourg.11
1762, Jean Taché leased St. Modet to John Ord for nine years (1762 to 1771).1
1763, Murray granted St. Modet to Jean Taché for three years “or until His Majesty's pleasure is further known.”2
1763, Taché stated that in 1763, he was disturbed in his possession of St.Modet, a frigate having ordered back the vessels he and the seigniors of Mingan had sent to operate their respective concessions. He petitioned the King to instruct the Newfoundland government that he be given peaceable possession of his concession.3
1764, Murray reported that St. Modet and St. Augustin were sub-let to “British merchants.”4
1766, Taché stated that, as a result of the Proclamation of 1763, the vessel he had despatched from Quebec to operate St. Modet post had been ordered back on the ground that, it was in territory under the jurisdiction of Newfoundland. Taché petitioned for peaceable possession of his post.5
1767, Maseres writing in 1767. stated that Taché had continued to enjoy possession of St. Modet from 1759 “till the late Interruption of the Settlements on the Coast of Labrador by the Governor of Newfoundland.” Taché desired to obtain Gros-Mecatina and offered, if granted it, to surrender St. Modet.6
1767, Taché stated that his lessee, John Ord, had appropriated St. Modet as a result of an agreement with Newfoundland.7
1775, Wm. Burgess applied for a grant of St. Modet and Anse-a-Loup concessions.8
1838, Antoine Talbot purchased St. Modet from James Dumaresq in 1838 and operated it from 1838 till he was violently dispossessed in 1845.9
1848, Antoine Talbot, who had been dispossessed by William Henry Ellis in 1845, obtained from the commander of H.M.S. “Alarm” an order directing Ellis to restore his post and effects.10
1848, Antoine Talbot petitioned the Legislative Assembly of Canada “to take such measures as in their wisdom they may deem fit, with a view to permit the shippers to carry on the fisheries of the coast in safety, and to exert their industry without danger.”11
A Select Committee of the Assembly recommended that consideration of the subject of securing sufficient protection “to those who were disposed to carry on the fisheries, honestly and peaceably . . . . be taken up and continued with activity, and that in the meantime the Provincial Government do solicit the protection of Her Majesty's Government, and the co-operation of that of Newfoundland, to obtain the desired end.”12
BLANC SABLON CONCESSION AND SEIGNIORY.
1689, Denonville and Champigny granted to Charles Aubert de la Chesnaye, Francois Pachot, Francois Poisset, Mathew de Lino, et al, a concession to take whales, seals, porpoises, and cod and other fish in Belleisle strait between the lower (eastern) portion of Blanc Sablon bay and the tract granted to the “Sieurs Riverin et compagnye an 52° degre [sic.]” of latitude—Belleisle seigniory and concession—and on the west coast of Newfoundland between latitude 49° N. and the western boundary of said Riverin's concession.
The concessionaires were also granted “en propriété a tiltre de fief et seigneurie,” in perpetuity, a seigniory which included two areas. The first contained an area of three leagues in front and three leagues in depth, situated on the north shore of Belleisle strait and the second, containing three leagues in front and three in depth, was situated in their concession on Newfoundland.
They were also granted the exclusive right to trade or fish within a radius of one-quarter league surrounding their hunting and trading establishments.1
BELLEISLE SEIGNIORY AND CONCESSION.
1689, Denonville and Champigny granted to the sieurs Riverin, Chanion, Catignon and Routhier. “en toutte propriétté fiefs, seigneuries et justice” (a) Belle isle (b) tract with six leagues of front on the “coste des Esquimaux” (north shore of Belleisle strait) and a similar tract on the coast of Newfoundland on the south shore. They also received the concession for twenty years (1689 to 1709) of the exclusive right of trading with the Indians from Blanc Sablons bay to a point thirty leagues eastward along the north shore of Belleisle strait, also, the exclusive right of trade with the Indians on the south shore of Belleisle strait.
The grantees were empowered to erect fishing and trading establishments and to fortify same.2
PORTACHOIS SEIGNIORY, NFLD.
1705, Vaudreuil and Beauharnois granted in perpetuity to Francois Hazeur, Portachois seigniory on the west coast of Newfoundland. This seigniory was ten leagues in depth and extended from the Salmon river northward to the rivière 1'Ours Blanc, a frontage of about 35 leagues. It was granted “en titre de fief et seigneurie, haute, moyenne et basse justice,” with
the right of hunting, fishing and trading with the Indians within the area of the seigniory under the condition that the grantee “rendre foy et hommage ... faire tenir feu et lieu,” etc.1
1707, the King confirmed and ratified the grant of Portachois seigniory to Hazeur.2
1709, prior to Hazeur's death in 1708. he entered into partnership with Pierre Constantin. In 1709, Raudot issued an ordinance accepting the renunciation of Portachois by Hazeur's heirs in favour of Constantin.3
1710, Constantin and Jean de Rouvray entered into a partnership agreement for five years (1710-1715), for the operation of Portachois.4
1732, Constantin leased to Francois Rotot, Pierre Rotot and Pierre Hamel, for seven years (1733 to 1740) the Baye-Rouge and Riviere-des-Francois posts on the north shore of Belleisle strait and Port-Ste. Marie-a-la-Pointe-aux Ancres (Portachois), the lessees to pay 200 livres per year.5
1736, Beauharnois and Rouvillière granted to sieur Antoine Marsal for nine years (1736 to 1745) the exclusive right to take seals on the Goelans islands and on the coast of Newfoundland between the southwestern point of bay St. Barbe and a point three leagues northeast thereof.6
1738, as a result of a protest by Blais, Regnier and Jolliet Maingan,
partners in the fishery at Pointe-aux-Ancres, Hocquart issued an ordinance empowering Maingan and partners to operate their Pointe-aux-Ancres post except that they were forbidden to shoot seals between 15 June and 15 July.
Marsal was confirmed in his concession of the Goelans islands.7
1735, Beauharnois and Hocquart granted to Louis Bazil for nine years (1735-1744) a concession to form establishments on the Atlantic coast between a point one-half league west of baye des Chateaux and a point three and one-half leagues northeast thereof, and on all the islands opposite said coast, with permission to fish, hunt and trade with the natives.8
1736, Bazil was conceded the exclusive right for nine years (1736 to 1745) to take seals and permission to fish, hunt and trade with the Indians in the area included in the concession of 1735.9
1737, the King confirmed and ratified the concession of Baye-des-Chateaux to Bazil.10
1737, Bazil entered into partnership with Francois Havy and Louis Fornel for the operation of his Baye-des-Chateaux concession for seven years (1737 to 1744).11
1742, Fornel reminded the Minister that, while operating the Baye-des-Chateaux concession, he had applied for a grant of the Baye-des-Esquimaux concession but that his partners would not permit him to use the firm's vessels to explore this bay. Fornel requested that the Baye-des-Chateaux concession be granted to him and, if conceded, offered to explore the baye des Esquimaux at his own expense.1
1746, Beauharnois and Hocquart reported that the Baye-des-Chateaux concession had been abandoned by the concessionaire and his partners.2
1747, Galissonière and Hocquart reported that there was no likelihood that application for the Baye-des-Chateaux concession would be made while the war lasted.3
1749, Jonquière and Bigot granted the Baye-des-Chateaux concession to sieur Gaultier for nine years (1749 to 1758).4
1754, Charles-Francois de la Pérade, Sieur de Lanaudière, states, in a deed, that he is proprietor of the Baye-des-Chateaux. He engaged Charles Gilbert, ship-captain, as master of the schooner “La Diligente” for two years, 1754 to 1756, and for three additional years, 1756 to 1759, if Lanaudière obtained an extension of his concession. On 4 April, 1754, Gaultier assigned his concession to Lanaudière.5
1735, Beauharnois and Hocquart granted to Antoine Marsal for nine years (1735 to 1744) a concession on the Atlantic coast extending from cape Charles, inclusive, to St. Alexis bay and including the islands opposite said portion of the coast, with the right of fishing, hunting and trading with the Indians within the limits of this concession. All persons were forbidden to molest Marsal within the limits of his concession or to make any establishments therein.6
1743, Marsal petitioned for an extension of his concession that he might recoup himself for the losses he had sustained from the Eskimo. His concession was extended for six years (1744 to 1750).7
1749, Marsal having ceased to operate his concession, it was re-granted for nine years (1750 to 1759) to Capt. Baune (de Bonne).8
1753, Marsal stated that, during his absence in France, de Bonne had obtained a grant of Cap-Charles but had made no attempt to operate his concession. He petitioned for its restoration. It was re-granted to him for nine years (1754-1763).9