p. 2111N



No. 894.

EXTRACTS FROM ENCYCLOPAEDIA BRITANNICA, 11TH EDITION, 1910-1911.



Gold Coast, that portion of the Guinea Coast (West Africa) which extends from Assini upon the west to the river Volta on the east. It derives its name from the quantities of grains of gold mixed with the sand of the rivers traversing the district. The term Gold Coast is now generally identified with the British Gold Coast colony. This extends from 3° 7' to 1° 14' E., the length of the coast-line being about 370 miles. It is bounded W. by the Ivory Coast colony (French), E. by Togoland (German). On the north the British possessions, including Ashanti and the Northern Territories, extend to the 11th degree of north latitude. The frontier separating the colony from Ashanti (fixed by order in council, 22nd of October 1906) is in general 130 miles from the coast, but in the central portion of the colony the southern limits of Ashanti project wedge-like to the confluence of the rivers Ofin and Prah, which point is but 60 miles from the sea at Cape Coast. The combined area of the Gold Coast, Ashanti and the Northern Territories, is about 80,000 sq. m. with a total population officially estimated in 1908 at 2,700,000 ; the Gold Coast colony alone has an area of 24,200 sq. miles, with a population of over a million, of whom about 2,000 are Europeans.
****
Ivory Coast (Côte d'Ivoire).—A French West African colony, bounded S. by the Gulf of Guinea, W. by Liberia and French Guinea, N. by the Colony of Upper Senegal and Niger, E. by the Gold Coast. Its area is approximately 120,000 sq. miles, and its population possibly 2,000,000, of whom some 600 are Europeans. Official estimates (1908) placed the native population as low as 980,000.
Physical features.—The coast-line extends from 7° 30' to 3° 7' W., and has a length of 380 miles. It forms an arc of a circle of which the convexity turns slightly to the north ; neither bay nor promontory breaks the regularity of its outline.

[1927lab]


 

Partnered Projects Government and Politics - Table of Contents Site Map Search Heritage Web Site Home