Top of Page Home Search Site Map

Managing the
War Effort

Home Front

at War



At Home


A Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Web Site Partner Project. Created under contract to Canada’s Digital Collections, Industry Canada.


When the Great War ended, there was considerable debate over the nature of the memorial that should be erected to commemorate Newfoundland’s war dead. Many favoured a traditional monument, but others strongly advocated the foundation of an interdenominational post-secondary institution, primarily to train teachers. The second suggestion was supported by all the churches. In the end, the Patriotic Association recommended to the government that there should be two national memorials. One would be a statue, “of imperishable material, as dignified and beautiful as our means will allow,” the other an educational institution. The government accepted this recommendation. In addition, it was decided to erect five battlefield memorials in France.

Memorial University College, Parade Street, St. John’s, 1923.
Memorial University College was officially opened on September 15, 1925. It was built as a memorial to honour Newfoundlanders who were killed in the Great War.

Courtesy of the Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador (PANL NA-39-97), St. John’s, Newfoundland.
(39 Kb)

Unveiling the National War Memorial, St. John’s, July 1, 1924.
Courtesy of the Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador (PANL NA-15-27), St. John’s, Newfoundland.
(48 Kb)

This section of the Web site illustrates the creation of these national memorials at home and overseas, as well as the numerous smaller monuments erected throughout the colony by communities large and small.