The complete excavation of a structure incorporating a large stone
chimney revealed the remains of a building measuring 12' by 14', exclusive
of the chimney. The dimensions match exactly those of a "parlour" built by
the first settlers in 1622. Here can be seen the remains of the fireplace
(enclosed within the white rectangle) and the remains of floor joists
(alongside the white lines) that supported a wooden floor.
Reproduced by permission of the Colony of Avalon Foundation,
Ferryland, Newfoundland, © 2001.