Bakery/Brewhouse

Bakery/Brewhouse.
During the 2001 excavations archaeologists found the remains of the bakery/brewhouse built by the first settlers in 1622. This illustration shows the fireplace from this structure. Visible in each corner are the remains of large North Devon ceramic ovens in which bread was baked (within the white circles). The two vertical slabs (within the white rectangles) in the hearth supported the "brewing copper," a large cauldron in which the ingredients for beer were boiled before fermentation took place.

Reproduced by permission of the Colony of Avalon Foundation, Ferryland, Newfoundland, © 2001.

Back to article Back to Article